Saturday, May 28, 2011

A city upon a hill




You are the light of the world. A city set on a hill cannot be hidden. Matthew 5:14

Truly my life is like a city set upon a hill. The paths of my heart and my mind intertwine throughout. It's beauty is majestic and it's foundations are deep and wide. The Great Founder himself christened this city and called it a gift from his very self. This city is where I dwell. In fact, this city is has been placed under my care, by the High King. This city, once was but a shack of timbers and trash, and a wretch of a fool sat upon a pretend throne and claimed himself to be the supreme ruler of these lands.... I was that fool...That shack was once my heart, but one day, a True king came and made himself known to me. His father was the true Landlord of all the world, but I refused to recognize him. So a great wrath was turned against me because of my folly. The price to be paid was death. And a great fear came upon me as I realized the truth of my situation. But what was there to be done? The Great Ruler was not only powerful, but He was Just. The truth had brought a holy fear into my life, and that fear drove my folly away. Humility began to arise, as my pride was stripped away. But still, nothing I could think to do would have removed the great and righteous wrath that set upon me. Then the greatest, most beautiful, and most scandalous event known to man took place. The True King, at the command of His father, stepped down from his great throne in the heavens and set his foot upon my land. What was I to do, wouldn't the very soil of this corrupt land defile the smallest toe of this High King? I couldn't believe what I was seeing. He came to me and simply asked if he could join me for dinner. Despite being shocked at these turn of events I managed to answer him with a yes, and ran to my castle, though really it was but a shack, and ran around wildly to prepare for this guest. I began throwing things this way and that, boxing up junk and throwing it in the corners, and I even found one and a half clean plates on which to eat. When the King came to the door, I feared what he would see. I quickly pushed all the unsightly things into the back room, with the plan to keep my guest in the front. As He came in, He simply smiled. As I think back upon that day, find myself in wonder as to how he had not walked out in disgust. I was but a wallowing fool in a sorry excuse for a shack. After we ate the King began to talk of the workings of His Kingdom. All that he said amazed me with its beauty and simplicity. Things were not complicated here, and the more I began to see that, I was at even more at a loss because it became more and more clear that there was no hope for a stubborn and foolish wretch as myself.

Then the King began to speak of himself, and His purpose in meeting with me on that day. He spoke in depth of my disobedience, and the price it would cost me as the offender. Then he proposed the most shocking and glorious news I have ever heard. He said His Father had asked Him to pay for my offence on my behalf. I found myself not happy to be set free, but drowned in sorrow, for I had come to love this man who had joined me for dinner. My heart was being tugged in many directions, but the King said he would pay the price as the offender whether or not I was willing to accept. It was not my decision to kill him, but it was my decision whether or not to make his death meaningful to me and to all who knew me. I accepted....I was set free, and He was killed

But death could not keep my King. He has risen, and He came knocking upon my door. This time, not to join me as a guest, but to reside within the very walls of my city, my home. Within the very bones of my body, within the walls of my heart. To walk through the paths of my mind, and to fellowship with those who I engage. He is my hope, my salvation, my King. King Jesus

No comments: